Texas Jiujitsu is a University of Texas student organization dedicated to bringing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu practice and instruction to the campus of U.T. For a number of years members of the U.T. community have gotten together informally to train in the art of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. It wasn’t until last year that a club was officially formed by David DeLaCerda and Seth Fuller.
Each semester the members of the Texas Jiu jitsu club pay dues and hire an instructor to conduct one to two classes per week. Members can wear a gi (just like your traditional judo uniform with a belt) or no gi (just shorts and a t-shirt). The first class is free and all levels are welcome. Most of our members got their first experience with Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in the club. For class times and location check the link under class schedule.
Other activities include competing as a team at Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Tournaments, hosting Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu seminars, and getting together to watch UFC and other MMA events.
Thanks for your interest. We look forward to hearing from you as we will see you on the mat!
As you can see we are lucky enough to have a spacious training facility that rivals most of the Austin Jiu Jitsu and Texas MMA gyms in the area. There is plenty of room to practice Brazilian Jiu Jitsu without having to worry about bumping in to anyone else.
The gym is located in Belmont which is the football stadium. If you enter on the west side of the building, the side facing campus, go up the elevators to the 9th floor. Get out and take a left go down the hall and the room will be on the right hand side.
Our members do have to pay dues every semester but the amount is less than one month’s worth of membership at any of the Austin BJJ or Austin MMA gyms.
• BJJ Black Belt under Antonio Passos/Ricardo De La Riva
• Jeff Rockwell is a veteran fighter, competitor, trainer, and coach, with over 13 years of experience in the martial arts. He has trained under such legends as Ricardo De La Riva, Erik Paulson, Marcelo Garcia, Pedro Sauer, and Burton Richardson, as well as with countless other BJJ black belts, NCAA wrestlers, and MMA fighters.
• 06/2010 Texas State BJJ Championships, Dallas, TX
• First Place, Men’s Black Belt Division, Middleweight
• 04/2009 Fight to Win Grappling Championships, Austin, TX
• Second Place, Men’s Brown/Black Division, 160-180lbs.
• 09/2007 Western PA BJJ Championships, Pittsburgh, Pa
• First place, Men’s Brown Belt Division 170lbs.
Jeff Rockwell’s Gym
RAPTOR BRAZILIAN JIU-JITSU
BJJ brown belt under David Ginsberg.
12 years of experience and active competitor
2x NAGA New England Champion.
BJJ brown belt under Darrin Lillian
5+ years experience and Active competitor
Tournament Highlights include: 2012 Abu Dhabi Pro trials champion, 2012 Texas State champion, and 2012 Houston Grand Prix Champion.
RUBENS “COBRINHA” CHARLES SEMINAR
Thank you to all those that attended the seminar! Everyone had an amazing time. We want to especially thank Cobrinha for such a great weekend. We hope that you can come back to Austin soon! Thank you Cobrinha!